check_nrpe socket time

Ethan Galstad nagios at nagios.org
Thu Dec 5 03:25:45 CET 2002

Whoops - sent the original reply to the devel list on accident.

How is nrpe being run on the remote host?  Via inetd, xinetd, or as a
standalone daemon.  If under xinetd, it could be that you've hit some
kind of limit based on your xinetd config (per_source and max_load
directives come to mind) - check the man pages for xinetd.conf(5) for
more info.

The Nagios host may be causing excessive load (CPU/MEM/SWAP) because
several child processes are waiting for the check_nrpe plugin to
finish before they can exit.  Sounds like the nrpe daemon might be
backlogged on connections, which might point to some tweaking needed
on the remote host side.

On 4 Dec 2002 at 13:24, Carroll, Jim P [Contractor] wrote:

> Yes!  I made this observation/complaint on the list a while back, back when
> I had nagios installed on an underpowered old PC.  Nobody had a comment to
> make.
>
> Since then (much more recently), I've had it happen again.  This was when I
> added quite a few NRPE checks across several Linux boxen, bumping my total
> service checks from 800+ to 1100+.
>
> Here are things I've done since that time:
>
> - posted a question to the list:  scalability of NRPE vs. NSCA
> - set max_concurrent_checks to 200
> - split the software disk mirror (I/O was getting hammered)
> - increased swap (from 50% of RAM to 200% of RAM)
> - set max_concurrent_checks to 0
> - noticed that while NRPE checks didn't fail, system would occasionally be
> very slow
> - set max_concurrent_checks to 400
>
> I still haven't had any response to my scalability/NRPE/NSCA query on this
> list.  I haven't ruled out NSCA as possibly a better way to go.  It just
> means cobbling some scripts together.  If I knew for certain that the NSCA
> approach is an order of magnitude more scalable than using NRPE, I'd jump on
> it in a heartbeat.
>
> BTW, the docs have suggestions for improving overall performance.  The one
> suggestion which stuck in my mind was to get /usr/local/nagios/var onto a
> ramdisk.  I don't think that would help in my situation, but I do have the
> option of putting it over on another spindle (the former mirror).
>
> Let me know if any of my observations/suggestions help you out.
>
> jc

Ethan Galstad,
Nagios Developer
---