Converting mon plugins to Nagios plugins?

Thu Dec 5 03:13:50 CET 2002

The only requirements of a Nagios plugin are

. that it sets a return code as documented (see developing your own
plugins in the wonderful docco)

In other words, the plugin should only exit with a Nagios defined return
code.

. it outputs something (probably a space is sufficient but I can't
recall).

This ouptut is _part_ of what gets sent to you in a notification. So
it's an opportunity to be informative.

On Wed, Dec 04, 2002 at 05:46:07PM -0800, Benjamin Feen wrote:
> Hiya!
>
> I'm going to be setting up Nagios to replace an existing distributed
> monitoring system based on mon. We have a number of custom mon plugins scripts,
> and, being unfamiliar with both mon and Nagios, I'm interested in any advice
> anyone might have... is it fairly straightforward to make mon plugins play
> nicely with Nagios?
>
> Thanks!
> Benjamin

It cannot be hard because the Nagios requirements are so minimal.

Have a look at the plugin-scripts for some encouragement.

Yours sincerely.

Stanley Hopcroft

from Meditation 17, J Donne.