Netsaint to Nagios

Wed Dec 4 09:13:03 CET 2002

Dear Sir,

I am writing to thank you for your letter and say,

On Wed, Dec 04, 2002 at 08:27:48AM +0100, Tom DE BLENDE wrote:
> Thanks for this extensive reply. If it can be done on one day, then I
> might just consider doing the shift to Nagios.

A day was probably excessive. With the right planning and forethought
(as another correspondent mentioned, using the config conversion tools
is definitely worthwhile. Don't take my word for it; that's what Mr
Galstad said in the FAQ) this should be possible in much less.

> I'm thinking of
> installing Nagios next to Netsaint, but running it in passive mode
> until I do the actual migration. That seems like a valid path to me.

That sounds like a very good low risk idea.

Don't put it off though. Nagios is more than a different name and a
slightly different look; there are definite and useful improvements.

Among the Nagios plusses,

+ precise and unvarying scheduling.

My checks that also update an RRD, once scheduled for a 5 minute
boundary, continue to be run on that boundary.

This was not so with Netsaint.

+ much faster response to command queue events such as en/disabling
checks or notifications

Netsaint seemed to take 30-90 seconds to responsd to requests, but
Nagios takes less than 30.

Yours sincerely.

Stanley Hopcroft

from Meditation 17, J Donne.