Distributed SNMP monitoring.

Subhendu Ghosh sghosh at sghosh.org
Wed Dec 4 07:28:16 CET 2002

I would like to see Nagios extend into a performance tracking arena and
the separation that Ethan has planned for the event deamon will allow
that.

The things to decide are whether to build a new RRD interface or to use an
existing on - and what is the primary focus and the secondary result.

I like Cricket, but Cricket is a resource hog as well for
large configurations.  The sub-trees mechanism allows
better system load management, but you are still launching perl from cron.

I prefer Nagios' primary focus on fault detection and a secondary result
of historical data gathering.

If Nagios builds RRD data support:

The RRD data storage layout is also an issue to be discussed. - Do we lay
out the data in a flat directory (probably not for scaling) or create some
hierarchy of directory based on host/parent relationship

If integrating:
Decide on which existing front-end, Figure out if we can just use the
grapher functionality there and have the raw data fed from the nagios
plugins.. (one data read from source)

-sg