Restrict users to view certain hostgroups in c gi's

Carroll, Jim P [Contractor] jcarro10 at sprintspectrum.com
Tue Dec 3 17:53:52 CET 2002

OH.  I thought you wanted it for reasons of security.  I didn't realize you
wanted to partition purely by function.

That being the case, I would put a separate instance of Nagios on a separate
host, and have each of your clients connect to their own.  That way, you
effectively 'firewall' misconfigurations to a single client, and not both.

If you like, you could configure a separate instance of Nagios on each of
these 2 hosts to be the failover instance for the other host, ie, 2
instances each on host A and host B, and instance A2 would be the failover
for B1, and B2 would be the failover for A1.

This all assumes that you're running on Linux and commodity hardware.  If
you're running on, say, Solaris and a substantially beefy/expensive piece of
hardware, then I'd stick with separate instances.

(You may still want to define hosts/services in both instances which are
common to both clients, eg, routers.)

jc