Distributed SNMP monitoring.

Terry Baranski terry at eurocompton.net
Tue Dec 3 03:59:41 CET 2002

Hello.

Hoping I can get some thoughts on this from those experienced with
Nagios.

I'm looking to deploy a network monitoring solution primarily to monitor
host resources such as disk space, processor usage, and so forth via
SNMP, and also to receive SNMP traps and notify accordingly.  The hosts
are Open/FreeBSD, Solaris, Linux, and Windows.  I'm in need of a
solution that supports tiering -- I need an external server to monitor
exernal devices and an internal server to monitor internal devices, with
the external server pumping its data to the internal server, making the
internal server the central/master server.

I first looked an OpenNMS, but it doesn't have tier support yet.  Then I
ran across Nagios, which does seem to have tier support, but also seems
to be geared more towards up/down monitoring than SNMP monitoring.

So, I'm wondering what those who have used Nagios think of its
appropriateness (or lack thereof) for what I'm trying to accomplish.
>From the documentation I've read so far, it appears to me that tiered
host resource monitoring is possible with the NRPE daemon running on
each monitored host.  Is this accurate?  If so, does this daemon work on
Open/FreeBSD?  These OS's represent the majority of our hosts.

Any help/advice on this will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Terry