Processors required for Nagios

Bishop, Dean dean.bishop at tcdsb.org
Tue Aug 27 14:20:36 CEST 2002

Good morning,

  i am currently setting up a nagios system and am monitoring 1150 hosts
with 1 service per (just getting started).  i am running this on a piece of
crap p-II 350 with 384M.  i am also running a very small instance of MRTG
monitoring about 15-20 stats local and remote every 5 minutes.  It appears
that the MRTG is the real hog but i am definately maxing this box out.

  i have two problems.
1) server locks at 4:02a the day after alot of configuration work.  i have
been tracking this one down.  i know it is related to crontab and further
that it is caused by anacron.  i have moved my daily cron jobs around so
that they all run 20 minutes apart rather than the default which is for them
all to run at the same time (4:02a)  This alleviated most of the lockups
(which were happening arbitrarily) but i just had another lockup on Monday
so i am assuming that this was due to the weekly cronjobs (only
one-anacron).  this is as far as i have made it.

2) although i can successfully generate a basic circular status map, it
pretty much kills my server for 2-3 minutes.  Any other maps are out of the
question.

  i am not doing any notification other than e-mail so i can't speak for the
load of paging.

i am quite impressed though.  We are in the process of relocating our
department and due to a lack of project management, i am left without my
mainworkstation.  i have therefore been working on my live nagios server
instead and have not had any problems.

hope this helps,
dean