Escalations not sent for second tier issue (followup, originally from Russel Scibetti 8/21)

Daris Drake daris.drake at eassist.com
Mon Aug 26 19:07:04 CEST 2002

Help on this issue would be greatly appreciated: We are using Nagios 1.0b4
and use an escalation configuration much like what Russel had described in a
list posting last week, as such:

define serviceescalation{
        hostgroup_name                  linux-servers,nt-servers
        service_description             *
        first_notification              2
        last_notification               0
	  notigification_interval	    5
        contact_groups                  primary
        }

This is the way Russel had/has his configured:

define serviceescalation{
        host_name                       *
        service_description             *
        first_notification              2
        last_notification               3
        contact_groups                  ops,admins
        }

Russel was seeing that the first notification was sent for the first
escalation definition but not the next. I am seeing that no notifications
are sent for the second escalation definition also. In our testing we did
not see that this behavior occurred if an escalation definition was set for
each service, but for obvious reasons this configuration is not manageable
(we have approximately 200 services :-) ).

If this is a configuration oversight or some other simple issue, or if
anyone else has encountered this issue, I would desperately like to know. If
this is a bug (I would assume if so it is with the wildcard) I would like to
know if I can help in any way defining the exact nature of the issue to
speed a fix release. Thanks.

Daris Drake (daris.drake at eassist.com)