solved - mail notification problem

todd.jones at weirslurry.com todd.jones at weirslurry.com
Fri Aug 23 16:41:49 CEST 2002

I would like to thank everybody who made an attempt to help me with my main
notification issue.  I would especially like to thank Jim Carroll who gave
assistance and helped with editing my sendmail.cf file.

Problem: How to have a nagios box on a private network, send Email
notifications out which come from nagios at tds.net, where tds.net is my isp.
This is necessary as everything else will bounce.  I could not relay off my
corporate smtp as it is not allowed by policy and I want to receive
notifications if that service goes down.  The only thing I could get
working was having the Email go out as nagios at localhost.

Solution: Edit the sendmail.cf file in the following section.

# my official domain name
# ... define this only if sendmail cannot automatically determine your
domain
#Dj$w.Foo.COM
#Dj$w.tds.net
Djtds.net

This entry forces sendmail to use tds.net as the domain.

Regards,

Todd Jones
Network Administrator
Weir Slurry