compiling nsca-2.1 under Solaris8

8lb4fmllhm001 at sneakemail.com 8lb4fmllhm001 at sneakemail.com
Fri Aug 16 16:42:52 CEST 2002

Jackson Sie wrote:
> Just do search and replace in the nsca source tree for 'u_int32_t' and
> replace with 'uint32_t'.  That should do the trick.  We had run into a
> similar problem as well when we were still thinking of using nsca...

Nope, errors still exist.

But you bring up a good question:  Why *not* NSCA?

One thing that's been hammered into me on www.infrastructures.org:  Have the clients contact the central server, not the other way around.

In the case of NSCA, I own Nagios and root on the monitoring server.  It doesn't matter if someone merely grants me non-root access on their host; I can (once I get NSCA to compile :P ) just install NSCA and the plugins, and off I go.

In the case of NRPE, I'm guessing one needs root privs...?  I can't say that I've taken a look at this tarball, so don't know if it requires a privileged port.  (I realize that a privileged port isn't required for NSCA.)  I'm also wondering about things like:  scalability on the monitoring server, and (lack of) crypto/authentication on the client.

Thoughts?