System Crashing

Joe Giles jgiles at joeman1.com
Fri Aug 16 05:46:28 CEST 2002

I have changed out my NIC and so far, the system is working better... So hopefully that is a good sign. That older NE2000 NIC was placed in another machine running XP and is showing signs of fatigue. Im betting that the issue was with the older NIC.

Well see tommorow. Last 2 days, the server would loose the NIC around 2 to 2:30 AM.

Thanks again for the responce :)

Joe

> My first question would be what NIC are you using?  It's possible that
> your Linux driver gets confused under a constant or heavy load, and
> that's what's causing your eth0 to disappear.
>
> Something like that might make it seem to be Nagios' fault, but I
> haven't heard of this problem with anyone else, so I doubt it's
> Nagios... if it was a Nagios specific thing I think a lot more people
> would have had an issue by now.
>
> Is your driver compiled-in to the kernel, or is it a module?
>
> You might want to check around and see if there's a newer driver
> available.
>
> - Terry
>
> On Thursday, August 15, 2002, at 05:46  AM, Joe Giles wrote:
>
> > List,
> > Is there any componet in Nagios that COULD cause your system to loose
> > one of your ETH devices? Since I have installed Nagios, I runs great,
> > but I keep loosing ETH0. I have to do a ifup on that device to bring
> > it back. Today, I had to reboot to bring it back. When Im not using
> > the Nagios, the system runs fine. Im using the INIT script that get
> > created with you do a make install-init.
> >
> > I would like to continue using the product, but I cant have my server
> > down. Any help or insight would be great.
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > Background on the Server:
> > RedHat 7.3
> > Using Apache, MySQL, ACID, Snort, DHCP, IPCHAINS with MASQ, 2 NIC's
> > One on a public interface and One on Private. All Red Hat Network
> > Updates Including the new Kernel. Let me know if you need additional
> > info.
> >

> > Joe Giles
> > jgiles at joeman1.com
> > AOL ID: mcigiles