check_fping strangeness

Chet Luther chet at rcn.com
Thu Aug 15 14:21:48 CEST 2002

Myke,
    The fping utility opens a raw socket.  Every UNIX I've ever used
restricted this operation to the root user.  What I had to do on my system
to get check_fping to work was 'chown root:nagiosgroup' both the fping
binary and check_fping plugin, then 'chmod 4750' them so that they would be
executed with root privileges.

Hope this helps,

Chet Luther
chet at rcn.com