check_smtp problem

andrew.slater at netstrategy.net andrew.slater at netstrategy.net
Wed Aug 14 02:29:22 CEST 2002

Howdy,

Thanks for the response, here are my configs;

host.cfg --->

These are the servers that come up CRITICAL-

# 'scorpion' host definition
define host{
        host_name                         scorpion
        alias                                   Domino SMTP 1
        address                           xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
        check_command                     check-host-alive
        max_check_attempts                10
        checks_enabled                    1
        notification_interval             60
        notification_period               24x7
        notification_options              d,u,r
        }

# 'keene_mx' host definition
define host{
        host_name                         keene_mx
        alias                       MS Exchange Server 2000
        address                                 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
        parents                                 telstra_link
        check_command                     check-host-alive
        max_check_attempts                10
        checks_enabled                    1
        notification_interval             60
        notification_period               24x7
        notification_options              d,u,r
        }

# 'pirahna' host definition
define host{
        host_name                   pirahna
        alias                                   Domino SMTP 2
        address                                 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
        check_command                     check-host-alive
        max_check_attempts                10
        checks_enabled                    1
        notification_interval             60
        notification_period               24x7
        notification_options              d,u,r
        }

These are the servers that come up OK;

# 'triton' host definition
define host{
        host_name                         triton
        alias                                   MailSweeper
        address                                 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
        parents                                 lonewolf
        check_command                     check-host-alive
        max_check_attempts                10
        checks_enabled                    1
        notification_interval             60
        notification_period               24x7
        notification_options              d,u,r
        }

# 'mx2' host definition
define host{
        host_name                   mx2
        alias                                   qmail Relay
        address                                 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
        parents                                 lonewolf
        check_command                     check-host-alive
        max_check_attempts          10
        checks_enabled                    1
        notification_interval             60
        notification_period               24x7
        notification_options              d,u,r
        }

services.cfg --->

# Template definition
define service{
        name                                          generic-service
        active_checks_enabled             1
        passive_checks_enabled            1
        parallelize_check                       1
        obsess_over_service               1
        check_freshness                         0
        notifications_enabled                   1
        event_handler_enabled             1
        flap_detection_enabled            1
        process_perf_data                       1
        retain_status_information         1
        retain_nonstatus_information      1
        register                                      0
        }

# Service definition
define service{
        use                                     generic-service
        host_name                         scorpion
        service_description                     SMTP
        is_volatile                             0
        check_period                            24x7
        max_check_attempts                3
        normal_check_interval                   5
        retry_check_interval                    1
        contact_groups                          notes-admins
        notification_interval                   120
        notification_period                     24x7
        notification_options                    w,u,c,r
        check_command                           check_smtp
        }

# Service definition
define service{
        use                                           generic-service
        host_name                               keene_mx
        service_description                     SMTP
        is_volatile                             0
        check_period                            24x7
        max_check_attempts                3
        normal_check_interval                   5
        retry_check_interval                    1
        contact_groups                          mail-admins
        notification_interval                   120
        notification_period                     24x7
        notification_options                    w,u,c,r
        check_command                           check_smtp
        }

# Service definition
define service{
        use                                           generic-service
        host_name                               pirahna
        service_description                     SMTP
        is_volatile                             0
        check_period                            24x7
        max_check_attempts                3
        normal_check_interval                   5
        retry_check_interval                    1
        contact_groups                          notes-admins
        notification_interval                   120
        notification_period                     24x7
        notification_options                    w,u,c,r
        check_command                           check_smtp
        }

# Service definition
define service{
        use                                           generic-service
        host_name                               triton
        service_description                     SMTP
        is_volatile                             0
        check_period                            24x7
        max_check_attempts                3
        normal_check_interval                   5
        retry_check_interval                    1
        contact_groups                          mail-admins
        notification_interval                   120
        notification_period                     24x7
        notification_options                    w,u,c,r
        check_command                           check_smtp
        }

# Service definition
define service{
        use                                           generic-service
        host_name                               mx2
        service_description                     SMTP
        is_volatile                             0
        check_period                            24x7
        max_check_attempts                3
        normal_check_interval                   5
        retry_check_interval                    1
        contact_groups                          mail-admins
        notification_interval                   120
        notification_period                     24x7
        notification_options                    w,u,c,r
        check_command                           check_smtp
        }

As you can see, the configs are identical between all servers (I am still
trying to get the whole thing up and running consistently before altering
each config to be appropriate for its purpose).

The check_smtp command is unaltered from the original install and there is
a check_ping to each of the above servers as well. I have tried
with/without the additional services (keene_mx for instance also has a
check_pop which runs fine) and still get the same result.

The only consistency in the failures is the type of server. I have tried
monitoring other mail servers of the same type and always seem to get the
same result. ie Exchange2000 and Domino _always_ seem to fail and qmail and
MAILsweeper for SMTP _never_ fail. Telnetting to each brings up the
expected "220" result and as I said in the first email, I _do_ get an OK: 0
second response time on every server whether they list as OK or CRITICAL.

Well thanks in advance for any thoughts you might have.

Andrew Slater

                      "Bishop, Dean"
                      <dean.bishop at tcds        To:       "'andrew.slater at netstrategy.net'" <andrew.slater at netstrategy.net>,
                      b.org>                    nagios-users at lists.sourceforge.net
                                               cc:
                      13/08/2002 09:11         Subject:  RE: [Nagios-users] check_smtp problem
                      PM

Send your config.  i.e. host and service definitions for these servers.

later,
dean