mrtg and nagios on the same machine

Terry Simons galimore at mac.com
Tue Aug 13 17:58:24 CEST 2002

On Tuesday, August 13, 2002, at 05:14 AM, mails_and_news at bluewin.ch
wrote:

> Hello list
> I run mrtg for a long time on a suse8.0 system.
> Now I have installed nagios on the same system. But the statusmap,
> trends
> and histogram is not working (the html-pages create failure 404). And of
> course I cant find the statusmap.cgi and so on. Regarding to the FAQ I
> should
> install gd, zlib and png libaries. But all three libraris
> (sources:zlib-1.1.4.tar.gz,
> libpng-1.0.14.tar.gz, gd-1.8.4.tar.gz) are already on the system,
> because
> mrtg need this also.

Are you SURE that Nagios is finding the gd libs?  If Nagios has
problems, it *will* display errors for the plugins that need them, even
though everything else will "make".

On my system, I had to tell Nagios *specifically* where gd was,
otherwise it failed every time.

> My questions: Do I need to install this again, because nagios was
> installed
> after the libaries (for mrtg)?

No, if they're on your system they'll work, you may have to tell Nagios'
configure script *where* they are though.

> Can I use this zlib-1.1.4.tar.gz,libpng-1.0.14.tar.gz,gd-1.8.4.tar.gz
> for
> nagios?

Yes.

> Is there out a little bit more information how to install this libaires,
> especially this part, because it is not clear for me!

Read the documentation for each library.  It's usually in a file called
"README" in the library's directory after you extract the files.

Also read the "INSTALL" file, or its equivalent for each library (the
README will usually tell you which file to read for instructions)

> Then clean out your old??? Nagios configuration information and rerun
> the
> configure script??? with the following two commands (from within you
> Nagios
> distribution directory):
>
> make devclean
> ./configure --with-gd-lib=LIBDIR --with-gd-inc=INCDIR [other options...]

Yes, you should try this...

> Replace LIBDIR with the directory in which the gd library is installed
> (usually
> /usr/lib or /usr/local/lib) and replace INCDIR with the directory in
> which
> the header files for the gd library are installed (usually /usr/include
> or /usr/local/include).

Yes, where is your gd library located?

Mine is in /usr/local/lib/ and /usr/local/include/, but this may vary
for you.

> After you rerun the configure script, make sure to recompile??? the CGIs
> and install them in their proper location.

Yup... are you confused about these steps?

If so, what are you confused about specifically?

- Terry