Public and Admin Permissions

Rusch, Daniel Daniel.Rusch at GlobalCrossing.com
Mon Aug 12 16:44:42 CEST 2002

Yes, We have our site set up that way. Guests can view most things but only
admins can change stuff.

I'm running apache so in httpd.conf:

ScriptAlias /nagios/cgi-bin/ /usr/local/nagios/sbin/
<Directory "/usr/local/nagios/sbin/">
    <Files cmd.cgi>
        AuthName "Nagios Access"
        AuthType Basic
        AuthUserFile /usr/local/nagios/etc/.htpasswd.users
        require valid-user
    </Files>
    Options ExecCGI
    Order allow,deny
    Allow from all
</Directory>

Alias /nagios/ /usr/local/nagios/share/
<Directory "/usr/local/nagios/share">
    Options None
    AllowOverride AuthConfig
    Order allow,deny
    Allow from all
</Directory>

I did this here instead of in an .htaccess file for two reasons:
1. The httpd.conf is loaded once, where as the .htaccess file is read every
time access to the directory is requested.
2. It puts all the config stuff in one place

Next, to be able to actually view services etc on the Nagios site as a
guest, we need to add "guest" to the following (be careful where you add
guest so that they can't make changes) in the cgi.cfg file in
/usr/local/nagios/etc :

default_user_name=guest

authorized_for_system_information=nagiosadmin,guest

authorized_for_configuration_information=nagiosadmin,guest

authorized_for_all_services=nagiosadmin,guest
authorized_for_all_hosts=nagiosadmin,guest

HTH

Dan