[naemon-users] Nudging (max concurrent service checks)

VERVAET Frederik (ITS/IIS) frederik.vervaet at proximus.com
Mon Jan 11 15:23:53 CET 2016

> Nagios doesn't have a semi-random interval. It would always end up scheduling all checks at the start of a new active period in the timeperiod if there were any inactive periods, effectively causing a cpu-saving intention of scheduling certain checks only during workhours to clump up at 07:00 in the morning (or whenever your workhours period started).

> The "nudge one interval and see if we can run the check then" maintains the original, random, distribution, causing checks to stay spread the same way they did at startup.

Hi,

I was under the impression Nagios nudging (in case of max_concurr service checks limit reached) worked like this:

nudges the time ahead by 5 + random(10) seconds

 (Can't seem to remember where I read this)

The way naemon handles it is the retry interval and no random part (also logfiles constantly give '0 seconds' btw instead of the actual value).

Regards,