[naemon-dev] Distributed Monitoring

Andreas Ericsson ageric79 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 20 12:54:03 CET 2015

On 2015-01-17 11:22, Lee Wilson wrote:
>> Couldn’t you just use a passive monitoring solution and have the
>> remote hosts sending their data in?
>

> Precisely what I was thinking the problem is that all the current
> plugins I'm aware of aren't what I would call public network
> friendly, security seems to have been added as an after thought in
> most cases. In an ideal world this is what I would like to see being
> possible:1) A remote node is configured with a standard config and
> send out to a new site - All it needs is an IP address, hostname of
> central system and an authentication certificate.

> 2) once onsite the
> node boots up and talks back to the central system via HTTPS to
> retrieve it's config at which point it reconfigures itself and starts
> monitoring3) Alerts are sent back using an external plugin also over
> HTTPS to the central system4) Periodically the node checks back in to
> see if it's configuration needs updating - May be possible to do this
> live if a persistent HTTPS connection is maintained.5) The central
> system monitors the node using freshness checks, if it doesn't
> receive any updates for a period of time, it marks the node down and
> sends an appropriate alert. In effect all that's really needed is an
> HTTP to Naemon proxy, I guess kind of similar to how Thunk works with
> MKLiveStatus but for write access instead of read.  The basic idea is
> not to reinvvent the wheel if something already exists (such as using
> certificate-based auth rather than something more custom). I've been
> working on this idea even before Naemon was created but not being a
> developer by trade I do scratch my head on a few bits.  Got the basic
> elements to a proof of concept more or less worked out if it is of
> interest. Lee

Merlin does exactly what you want, except you need to create a custom
"fetch config" script if you want to do it over https instead of over
ssh.

https://kb.op5.com/display/DOC/Scalable+Monitoring contains the kb
articles we have at op5 regarding this. They shouldn't be too markety
but mostly contain technical details regarding how you set it up.

Merlin is 100% opensource. If you have problems using it with Naemon,
I'll be happy to help you get it up and running.

/Andreas