[naemon-dev] Distributed Monitoring

Lee Wilson leefm40 at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Jan 17 00:43:28 CET 2015

Hey All,
It's great to see Naemon continuing to improve.
One thing that still concerns me is that although things are being added for doing distributed monitoring (DNX) but it seems focused on hosts run within a single enterprise or private WAN.
I've worked for a couple of MSPs and one of the biggest issue we had was that the distributed monitoring nagios installs needed to have inbound connections allowed to them each of which required a unique public IP (not port NAT) which meant it was very wasteful for large deployments.
Ideally I'd like to see Naemon support a method whereby the remote monitoring hosts establish an outbound connection to the central host using ports that are not only secure but also easy to get through firewalls. HTTPS seems not a bad choice for this. This would also make Naemon a possible candidate for a cloud based solution.
By implementing it this way it would be very easy to deploy hosts practically anywhere although I fully understand that the complexity of implementing this could be very high.
Any thoughts?
Lee