[naemon-dev] Naemon Livestatus update

Robin Sonefors ozamosi at flukkost.nu
Mon Mar 31 22:16:38 CEST 2014

Hey,

On 2014-03-31 18:49, Eron Nicholson wrote:
> Hey all,
>    Thanks for the responses and the info.  I appreciate that you guys
> are responsive to these issues.  I also posted this to the check_mk
> users list and haven't gotten any response yet (see
> http://lists.mathias-kettner.de/pipermail/checkmk-en/2014-March/011881.html).
>
> Since we are looking to use both Naemon and Check_mk in our new
> monitoring system, I would certainly prefer it if there was a single
> supported livestatus version shared between the two projects.  We do
> see some issues when trying to use the Check_MK UI with
> naemon-livestatus, as they have added new columns :
>
> Primary - Livestatus error
> Unhandled exception: 400: Table 'hosts' has no column
> 'host_comments_with_extra_info'
>
> We have built our own UI and Thruk is also perfectly fine, so this
> isn't really a big concern.  As long as the backends are compatible,
> we should be fine with either version.
>
> The major issue with the current version of naemon-livestatus is that
> it crashes after ~10 seconds in our environment.  As I mentioned
> earlier, we have tons of passive services being sent in via livestatus
> - both from the check_mk agent checks and our own custom checks.  If
> it disable our custom checks, naemon-livestatus will not crash, so it
> has something to do with the additional passive checks we are sending.
>   I have enabled livestatus logging and debugging via :
>
> broker_module=/usr/lib/naemon/livestatus.o /var/cache/naemon/live
> log_file=/var/log/naemon/livestatus.log debug=1
>
> And do not see any errors in the livestatus.log when the process dies.
>   I do sometimes see segfault errors in the naemon.log :
>
> [1396281951] Caught SIGSEGV, shutting down...

I know there were a lot of those when we originally forked due
livestatus not even trying to synchronize with nagios/naemon before
submitting commands in the wrong thread, but I think Sven fixed that
before we released 0.8. I'm assuming your livestatus is built from our
latest git version?

> We are very, very reliant on livestatus for both pushing in passive
> service checks and pulling data for our UI.  So our (new) monitoring
> system is basically unusable until we can get a livestatus that works
> with naemon and doesn't crash.  Fortunately, we still have our nagios3
> system up and working, so we have some time to try to figure out these
> kinds of issues.
>
> I would love to help out in troubleshooting this problem.  Let me know
> if there's a newer version of naemon-livestatus that I can try or if
> you would like me to gather some more data on the crashes.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Eron Nicholson
> Systems Administrator | Basecamp

Not to go all fanboi, but if there's one company name that makes me go
all, well, fanboi, it's basecamp. Love the company, would love to help
out if you give me a coredump.