[naemon-dev] livestatus commit

Anton Löfgren alofgren at op5.com
Tue Apr 22 16:45:06 CEST 2014

I suppose it goes without saying that I'm strongly opposed to the idea
of (re-)introducing the previous hackery to do things wrong.

It's got nothing to do with it being "the op5 way". It's got everything
to do with not going out of our way to make things more confusing than
they need to be. In essence, my argument is: look in your /usr/lib/
directory and see if you can find a single shared object that has the .o
extension (that isn't a nagios/naemon broker module).

I really feel that this is the wrong time to be adamant about backwards
compatibility, since it doesn't in any practical sense affect users in
any way we can't deal with.

Sedding the config file on upgrade is perfectly acceptable in my
opinion. Especially for a piece of software that is not even 1.0!
Remember how we refrained from releasing 1.0 to be able to get rid of
old cruft? This is it (or, some of it).

The one point I might agree with is that the documentation would be
marginally misleading. Is this really (I mean, really really) a problem,
however? Presumably, we're offering a suite with batteries included to
use naemon-livestatus, and I'm guessing that includes the one relevant
part of the documentation you're referring to, namely that
broker_module=<path>/livestatus.o should be
broker_module=<path>/livestatus.so. I don't see how this is any harder
than simply adding a disclaimer to the docs pointing out this
discrepancy. Besides, it's not like the livestatus documentation is
fully reliable with naemon-livestatus as is, anyway. The fork exists for
a reason.

I have not heard of any effort to get anything upstreamed. Do you have any
more details on that?

Anyways, this feels a bit like an uphill struggle for myself, since I'm
not really mandated to decide or vote either way. Regardless, that's my
take on it. If the core team decides differently, I'll begrudgingly
accept that decision.

/Anton