[naemon-dev] livestatus commit

Anton Löfgren alofgren at op5.com
Mon Apr 21 20:24:31 CEST 2014

Are they really, though? Livestatus is the only one I've seen that
does this. Granted, I'm not familiar with a lot of others. I know at
least merlin uses the .so extension, as does all our interally
developed modules at op5 (not that that really matter here, but hey).

The way I've understood it is that the Nagios documentation at some
point suggested that modules should be .o. If that's the case, I
personally feel we should take the opportunity we nevertheless have
with this new project to get rid of that kind of legacy cruft, since
it's completely confusing to anyone _but_ old users. Now, that goes
for a lot of things, and this is hardly the most pressing issue w.r.t
legacy stuff that we have to deal with, but you gotta start somewhere
if we're hoping for Naemon to become something more than simply a
political fork. Not that that's necessarily how I feel, but I've
gotten the feeling at times that we're trying perhaps a bit too hard
to strive for backwards compatibility, and I do feel that that is a
waste, given the potential that Naemon has. I'm not saying backwards
compatibility is unimportant, but I am saying that I would (again, me,
personally) really prefer it if Naemon tried just a little bit harder
to be more than just Nagios with a bunch of (albeit important)
packaging and bug fixes.

Sorry to go off on a tangent like that, it's just something that's
been irking me for a while is all.

Anton Löfgren             alofgren at op5.com
OP5 AB                       www.op5.com