configuration directory

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Fri Sep 13 11:44:18 CEST 2013

On 2013-09-13 11:15, AL13N wrote:
>> On 2013-09-12 13:33, AL13N wrote:
>>> This should be a patch for
>>> A) allowing multiple main config files
>>>
>>> i haven't compiled/run/tested this yet, but this is the kind of thing i
>>> thought would be good.
>>>
>>> can someone please tell me if i'm working in the right direction or not?
>>>

>> Sort of, and then again, no. It would be good if, as a first step, we
>> read all main-config-parameters from read_main_config_file() (or some
>> other function which just groks key/value pairs that gets fed by one
>> or more invocations of read_main_config_file()).
>>
>> That way the patch wouldn't have to fiddle with object config reading,
>> which won't work properly unless you also add multi-config support to
>> read_object_config_files().
>
> but, that's the way it's written now... we'd have to refactor the way the
> config files are read, and then the patch would be quite invasive,
> wouldn't it?
>
> did you see the 2nd patch? where i added multi-config support for
> read_object_config_files? (or at least very basic, i didn't check if these
> functions reset some internal variables at the start of their call)

Ah, no, I didn't.

> what exactly are you thinking of doing?

All the "initialize this" and "read_object_config_data()" only parse
a few variables out of the main config file(s) and then set a few
variables based on values found there. I would much prefer to have
config variables read in a single place, all the variables properly
set based on the latest parsed value (last in wins the race, basically),
and then calling the init functions while removing the config file
argument to them completely.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se

on peace.