configuration directory

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Wed Sep 4 10:57:02 CEST 2013

On 2013-09-04 00:34, AL13N wrote:
> Op dinsdag 3 september 2013 17:22:32 schreef Andreas Ericsson:
>> On 2013-09-02 21:20, AL13N wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> i'm a Mageia distribution packager, and i'm maintaining some event broker
>>> modules.
>>>
>>> since these are packaged seperately we're trying to get things to work
>>> out-of- the-box for our users, specifically adding event brokers in the
>>> configuration file for nagios.
>>>
>>> the problem we're facing is that: We don't want a nagios addon package to
>>> rewrite the configuration file itself. however, we would like to add the
>>> event broker (or other settings) and then reload/restart nagios.
>>>
>>> a beneficial thing would be a configuration directory (much like it exists
>>> with hosts and commands and stuff like that) but for the main nagios
>>> configuration file.
>>>
>>> and if while we're at it, to have multiple directories, where
>>> /usr/share/nagios/nagios.d/ has the "defaults" which can be overridden in
>>> /etc/nagios.d/ (for instance) (this is a convention that's growing in use)
>>>
>>> I can try to start making a patch for this, but i'm asking about this
>>> first, in order to find out if it makes a chance of getting accepted.
>>
>> Not only does it stand a chance of getting accepted; It's on the
>> roadmap. If you start working on it I'll help as much as I can and
>> I'm willing to accept less-than-awesome quality code, although I'll
>> polish such later if it turns out to be an issue.
>>
>> The only real requirement is that any "main" config file option
>> should be settable from any file in the dropdir.
>

> the idea i thought might be doable, would be to allow multiple -d options to
> nagios, and allow those to be a file or a directory.

I'd much rather see this as "include=/some/path.d" where we read all
files ending with .cfg and .conf if it's a directory, or the file if
it's a fail, and then parse each include'd file in order of
   include-statement -> lexicographical order
so that

include=/etc/nagios.conf.d/
include=/etc/nagios.perfdata.d/

would cause all files from /etc/nagios.conf.d to be parsed before all
files from /etc/nagios.perfdata.d.

The included files can include other files, if they're so inclined.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se

on peace.