configuration directory

AL13N alien at rmail.be
Wed Sep 4 00:34:42 CEST 2013

Op dinsdag 3 september 2013 17:22:32 schreef Andreas Ericsson:
> On 2013-09-02 21:20, AL13N wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > i'm a Mageia distribution packager, and i'm maintaining some event broker
> > modules.
> >
> > since these are packaged seperately we're trying to get things to work
> > out-of- the-box for our users, specifically adding event brokers in the
> > configuration file for nagios.
> >
> > the problem we're facing is that: We don't want a nagios addon package to
> > rewrite the configuration file itself. however, we would like to add the
> > event broker (or other settings) and then reload/restart nagios.
> >
> > a beneficial thing would be a configuration directory (much like it exists
> > with hosts and commands and stuff like that) but for the main nagios
> > configuration file.
> >
> > and if while we're at it, to have multiple directories, where
> > /usr/share/nagios/nagios.d/ has the "defaults" which can be overridden in
> > /etc/nagios.d/ (for instance) (this is a convention that's growing in use)
> >
> > I can try to start making a patch for this, but i'm asking about this
> > first, in order to find out if it makes a chance of getting accepted.
>
> Not only does it stand a chance of getting accepted; It's on the
> roadmap. If you start working on it I'll help as much as I can and
> I'm willing to accept less-than-awesome quality code, although I'll
> polish such later if it turns out to be an issue.
>
> The only real requirement is that any "main" config file option
> should be settable from any file in the dropdir.

the idea i thought might be doable, would be to allow multiple -d options to
nagios, and allow those to be a file or a directory.

this would keep working:

[  ]# /usr/sbin/nagios -d /etc/nagios/nagios.cfg

and allow

[  ]# /usr/sbin/nagios -d /usr/share/nagios/conf.d/ -d /etc/nagios/conf.d/

to work too.

internally, instead of one file, we'll have to have an array of files/dirs, so
that reloading nagios would also expand the config files/dirs into files and
parse them all in order...