Support quoting vertical bar (|) character in plugin output

Jim Winkle jrwinkle at wisc.edu
Tue Mar 26 18:23:03 CET 2013

It's possible for a plugin to have a vertical bar (|) character in its regular output. For example, I've seen cases where check_logfiles does this when there is a '|' in /var/log/messages. Nagios interprets anything after the '|' as performance data, so all of the plugin output doesn't get reported and performance data for that point in time is corrupt.

It seems that (and correct me if I'm wrong) Nagios doesn't support a way to escape '|' in plugin output. If it did, the author of any such plugin could escape any '|' characters in the regular output.

If this is true, I'll request this enhancement on tracker.nagios.org.

Thanks in advance!

--
Jim

Own the Future-Intel® Level Up Game Demo Contest 2013