External Command Ideas

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Sat Mar 2 00:21:35 CET 2013

On 02/28/2013 10:40 AM, Jochen Bern wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> in a current project, I have a need to override Nagios' check scheduling
> on specific occasions (*). Hence, I'm looking at what I can or (relevant
> point here) cannot do with external commands, as documented for 3.x.
> Since there's a new major version upcoming, I thought I might toss a
> couple thoughts this list's way, just in case you're taking suggestions ...
>
> -- I can CHANGE_NORMAL_SVC_CHECK_INTERVAL to have a service checked
>     as often as interval_length and/or the scheduler permits, but I
>     cannot tell Nagios to return to whatever the config files had set
>     initially.
> -- I can SCHEDULE_* (or SCHEDULE_FORCED_*) single services or all
>     services of a host, but not the members of a service group.
>     (I guess that filtering for services in a non-OK state only is
>     really a job for livestatus or the like, not Nagios.)
> -- I cannot touch a service's ATTEMPT counter ~= SOFT/HARD distinction,
>     to possibly have Nagios' scheduler go through the retry_interval
>     routine for me, unless I PROCESS_SERVICE_CHECK_RESULT an
>     all-out-fake OK state.
>     (I guess that incrementing via CHANGE_MAX_SVC_CHECK_ATTEMPTS *might*
>     have the side effect of returning the service to SOFT non-OK, but
>     again, there's no "return to config file value" available.)
>
> (*) Basically, I want all SLA relevant services that are still non-OK at
> the end of the standard maintenance window to be rechecked so that the
> non-OK state doesn't check_interval into the SLA relevant time more than
> necessary. Note that I intend to use avail.cgi to produce reports on SLA
> fulfilment, so I'll have to define a matching service group, anyway.
> FWIW, it's a 3.4.4 installed from repos.

Write an eventbroker module. It's not so hard, and since you're only
filling a very specific need with one or more very specific times you
shouldn't run into many problems. Object iteration is done more or
less the same in Nagios 4 as it's done in Nagios 3 btw, so you won't
run into huge issues if/when you decide to migrate.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se

on peace.

Everyone hates slow websites. So do we.
http://p.sf.net/sfu/appdyn_d2d_feb