Nagios Core 3.4.4: crash on empty parents

Jens Hektor hektor at rz.rwth-aachen.de
Fri Feb 22 05:24:02 CET 2013

Hi,

in the meantime I realized, that it is not so easy.

What happened was this:

in our 5k hosts / 11k services installation of nagios the accesspoints
get updated by a script that pulls data from a database and writes individual
files for each AP.

A colleague ran this script and forcing nagios to relaod nagios crashed.
I was not able to start nagios in that configuration and unfortunately
I could not take a core dump.
I suspected a memory error at that point and rebooted the machine but
the error persisted.

Running a diff against the old config files showed the missing parent
as only major difference. Correcting that manually in the file for that
AP fixed my problem.

Then I wrote the message to this list.

My colleague later showed me that there were other APs that had
missing parents so it became clear that it is not so simple to
reproduce the error.

At the moment I am stuck and I cannot tip the finger at the error, sorry.

So I will try later today if I can force nagios into that error again,
but as I think that nagios is pretty rocksolid I fear I am not able
to reproduce this.

So I will come back when I have found something and we can close this upto now.

Sorry and best regards, Jens Hektor

On 22.02.2013 02:59, Eric Stanley wrote:
> Jens,
>
> I just tried what you suggested to reproduce the issue, but it did not
> crash on me. Could you send what you used to get it to crash?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Eric
>
> On 2/17/13 10:27 PM, Jens Hektor wrote:
>> I had nagios core 3.4.4 crashing on an empty "parents" line in a host config.
>>
>> Guess it should be easy to reproduce: simply add a line, where after the
>> "parents" are just some space characters.

Everyone hates slow websites. So do we.
http://p.sf.net/sfu/appdyn_d2d_feb