"distributable" downtime delete commands?

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Sat Feb 9 11:48:29 CET 2013

On 02/08/2013 04:32 AM, Páll Guðjón Sigurðsson wrote:
> Thanks a lot Paul,
>
> We have been achieving the same goals with pynag scripts and
> DEL_SVC_DOWNTIME command.
>
> Is there anyone on the list that might take it into their hands to
> keep documentation up to date, maybe even write a routine in nagios
> to ask for every supported external command, so that external scripts
> know what external commands are supported ?

It wouldn't be hard to build a command query-handler in Nagios that
can list the available commands, along with a short description saying
what it does. The same could be used with macros and other things we
already have pre-compiled lists of.

I've been meaning to write one that can handle external commands from
users and reply with a result code to let people know how it actually
went parsing, understanding and applying it anyway, so it'll get done
eventually. Right now I'm working on something different though.

> The pynag team depends on the documentation to generate library
> functions, but we have found a few glitches in both external commands
> docs and the nagios.cfg docs. Anyone willing to help us on "getting
> it right" deserves a beer.

Use the code instead. The external commands are all listed in
include/common.h, so

sed -n 's/^#define CMD_\([A-Z_]*\).*/\1/p'

will list all of them (although some of them are disabled internally,
so you'll have to keep a list of those).

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se

on peace.