Core 4 Remote Workers

Daniel Wittenberg daniel.wittenberg.r0ko at statefarm.com
Tue Feb 5 18:04:12 CET 2013

On Feb 5, 2013, at 10:57 AM, Andreas Ericsson wrote:

Encryption is a must, ofcourse, as the packets will have to contain
passwords some of the time. There's a libssh2 available which we should
be able to use to set up preshared key authentication with security
that even NSA will approve of.
I like the idea of libssh2. SSH is simpler both in concept and
implementation than a PKI.

We could also go with unencrypted at first and just make sure it works
with stunnel or some such. It doesn't really matter, as organizations
large enough to require large-scale distributed setups will have
people who can handle encryption just fine.

In either case, we should definitely have a cleartext option too, for
debugging if nothing else.

I'd agree encryption is a must, well, for me anyway :)  But it's always handy to have a cleartext option available when things just aren't working right and you need to trace and find out why.

So it almost seems like you could have a remote worker installed on each host, and just have it check that one host…other than you'd have a ton of remote workers, what would be the downside of doing that?  Removes the need for nrpe or other options for remote checking…

Dan