Core 4 Remote Workers

Sven Nierlein Sven.Nierlein at consol.de
Tue Feb 5 12:58:19 CET 2013

Hi,

On 05.02.2013 12:43, Eric Stanley wrote:
> I find the idea of the remote worker using hostgroups to volunteer for
> checks appealing because of its simplicity, but might it not be fragile?
> Assume the members of the hostgroup must be checked using a remote
> worker because of network configuration. If someone removes a host from
> the hostgroup, it will cease to be checked. If someone deletes (or
> renames) the hostgroup, none of the hosts will be checked. If someone
> adds a host to the hostgroup that the remote worker cannot check, it
> will never be checked. You might spend a lot of time trying to figure
> out why your hosts/services aren't being checked in one of these cases.
>>> Using the second criteria of host to determine which worker gets the
>>> check raises the question of the order of precedence for the criteria.
>>> Initially, I think the host should have precedence over plugin, but I
>>> can see implementing and order of precedence option in the core
>>> configuration file. This would be more important if additional worker
>>> selection criteria were added.

I attached a picture with mod-gearmans queue decision procedure.
So what would happen...

if you rename a hostgroup?
  -> the catch all queues will take care of that check (or nagios in this case)

if you remove a hostgroup?
  -> the catch all queues will take care of that check (or nagios in this case)

if all worker are going down for a hostgroup:
  -> nagios will alert about orphaned host/service checks

if a misconfigured worker runs checks for the wrong group
  -> nagios will either alert with rc=127 or some other error, but you would
     see the worker in the gui because that information is stored with the
     check result.

  Sven

Sven Nierlein             Sven.Nierlein at consol.de
ConSol* GmbH              http://www.consol.de
Franziskanerstrasse 38    Tel.:089/45841-439
81669 Muenchen            Fax.:089/45841-111