nsca-2.9 compatability

Michael Friedrich michael.friedrich at univie.ac.at
Fri Jan 13 18:35:25 CET 2012

Eric Stanley wrote:
> I also ran into this issue this week, but before I had caught up on
> the list traffic. I discussed it with Ethan and his concern is that
> there are a lot of agents (especially for Windows) that are not being
> maintained and will break with the larger buffer size expected by the
> newer daemon.

which agents are you talking about? nsclient++ is very well maintained.

> We think the best way is to roll back the buffer size to its old value
> for compatibility with older clients. NRDP is a more flexible solution
> going forward anyway. We realize that rolling back the buffer size
> will mean that some of the output will be truncated.

it's not about nrdp, it's about nsca itsself. people won't just change
their environment because there's a more flexible solution. upgrading
nsca works seamlessly and is rather simple.

> Anyone have violent objections or better ideas?

adding this change to changelog and marking the break with compatibility
by incrementing the major version to 3.0. imho it's about time to change
things.
packagers will be happy as well (nsca conflicts nsca3).

furthermore i suggest adding some docs and explaining the change. the
most valuable part will be attaching to the pluginapi and their format,
being truncated most likely on the various platforms.

changing the major version will also allow addon maintainers to release
an updated version. those who can't upgrade their clients shouldn't
upgrade to nsca3 then either. ah well and delete the 2.9 release from
sf.net then.

jm2c,
michael

> Eric
>
> On 1/11/2012 11:57 PM, Daniel Wittenberg wrote:
>>
>> Yeah we went through the same thing and had to bite the bullet and
>> increased the nsca and nrpe buffer sizes all at once across the
>> board.  It was painful, but once done it was done.
>>

>> Dan

DI (FH) Michael Friedrich

Vienna University Computer Center

email:  michael.friedrich at univie.ac.at