nsca-2.9 compatability

Michael Friedrich michael.friedrich at univie.ac.at
Wed Jan 11 22:09:23 CET 2012

On 11.01.2012 20:16, Andrew Widdersheim wrote:
> I wanted to use Mike Lindsey's new features in nsca-2.9 but found that
> clients on 2.7.2 were not able to communicate after updating the
> server. I found this on the Nagios bug tracker:
>
> http://tracker.nagios.org/view.php?id=78
>
> From what I'm reading it's not possible to have a client and server
> compiled with different MAX_PLUGINOUTPUT_LENGTH. Has this been fixed
> at all and I'm just not finding it?

i would guess the changed length of char arrays will affect the
calculated crc for the packet.

the clients calculate a crc based on MAX_PLUGINOUTPUT_LENGTH=512 and add
that to the sent packet. the server receives a packet, reads the crc32
and calculates one itsself for having MAX_PLUGINOUTPUT_LENGTH=4096 (to
be looked at in include/common.h - data_packet_struct)

search the logs for "Dropping packet with invalid CRC32 - possibly due
to client using wrong password or crypto algorithm?" - anything?

it might also affect en/decryption methods, so watch for such error
messages as well.

DI (FH) Michael Friedrich

Vienna University Computer Center

email:     michael.friedrich at univie.ac.at