nagios check_* and files limits

Mike W uce_mike at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 6 04:59:15 CET 2012

On 12/5/2012 9:29 PM, Mike Wilson wrote:
> On 12/5/2012 5:58 PM, Ian Orszaczki wrote:
>> Forgot to mention you can check the limits on a running process by
>> reading /proc/PID/limits.
>>
>> On Thu, Dec 6, 2012 at 10:53 AM, Ian Orszaczki <ian at griggle.net
>> <mailto:ian at griggle.net>> wrote:
>>
>>     Hi, we had the same problem and tried to solve it with limits.d but
>>     it doesn't seem to work when nagios starts from the init script.
>>
>>     So we added ulimits commands to the init script and it works.

I made the changes as recommended, checked the /proc/PID/limits and
verified it was changing to those values. However I am still getting a
127 on these tests.

If I reduce the number of tests to around 2780 the failing tests (error
127) start working. I did this and ran the check_test script to see the
ulimit dump and that was also showing the updated open files limits.

I will continue to poke around to see what I can find...

--

Mike Wilson

http://p.sf.net/sfu/logmein_12329d2d