Log USERNAME when DISABLING/ENABLING checks/notifications...

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Fri Apr 6 16:35:05 CEST 2012

On 04/06/2012 12:22 AM, Deepak Kosaraju wrote:
> Andreas Thanks for the prompt reply, So when can we expect Nagios 4,
> where can I track the beta release schedules for Nagios.

It's in testing at our lab as we speak. The code is currently only
available from git://github.com/ageric/nagios.git where it'll remain
until I've ironed out the following remaining issues:

* epoll()-based I/O broker doesn't work with some kernel+glibc versions.
I have no idea why, and it's possible to fallback to using poll() or
select() instead, but it's pretty unclear how one chooses which one to
use, so that'll have to be made better.

* API docs have to be generated and published somewhere so other module
authors can figure out how to use it.

* Tests have to be done to make sure external commands retain their
previous performance. I have a hunch that it might be affected by
having to share the polling space with the workers.

* Handling has to be added for when pollers go AWOL. It's sort of
amazing that it hasn't happened by accident yet, but I guess it will
in real-world scenarios, and we should handle it gracefully.

> When you are planning to change logging version it would be nice to
> look at the time [filed].
>
> Here is the scenario: Between nagios and splunk, As splunk indexer
> sees the event from forwarder, the indexer records the time based on
> the event time and converts that to HRT format, and as nagios log
> doesn't have anything to say 2 events happened with-in milli seconds
> time different splunk indexer is treating both events happened at the
> same time based on epoch timestamp.

We'll most likely solve this with a subscriber service where you can
get raw logmessages as they're generated and then add time in whatever
granularity you like.

Providing a generically useful way that lets other programs get random
data streamed to it seems like a lot better idea than changing the
logging-format for the sake of splunk indexing, tbh.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se

on peace.

http://p.sf.net/sfu/Boundary-d2dvs2