check_nrpe exit code on socket errors

Stephen Gran steve at lobefin.net
Thu Nov 24 08:28:37 CET 2011

Hello,

We periodically get spurious alerts for socket errors on some hosts
(behind a failing firewall, on a bad link, etc).  I see that check_nrpe
already has a way to tell it to not report checks that time out as
critical, and I think it would be helpful to be able treat socket errors
in the same way.  Attached are two patches: one that adds the socket
error handling to the existing -u option, and one that adds a new option
so these classes of errors can be handled seperately.  I have no strong
arguments for which is the better way of doing it, so I present both.

Cheers,
|  Stephen Gran                  | "I have more information in one place   |
|  steve at lobefin.net             | than anybody in the world."   -- Jerry  |
|  http://www.lobefin.net/~steve | Pournelle, an absurd notion, apparently |
|                                | about the BIX BBS                       |