Status of IPv6 support

Jumper99 at gmx.de Jumper99 at gmx.de
Sun May 22 18:07:24 CEST 2011

Why does posting to nagios lists have to be sooo painful? Every client I tried gets rejected because of "Message has a suspicious header
".

Jochen Bern wrote:

> On 05/20/2011 05:47 PM, Jumper99 at gmx.de wrote:
> > what is the current status of IPv6 support in Nagios?
> > I found an almost complete patch for IPv6 support at
> > http://exchange.nagios.org/directory/Patches/Nagios
> > 	/Add-IPv6-address-to-host-definition/details and was wondering
> > when this or a similar patch will make it info Nagios. I applied the
> > patch with small changes to my Nagios 3.2.3 installation and it
> > works fine.
>
> Technically, the Nagios core doesn't care whether hosts' "address"
> statements give IPv4, IPv6, Ethernet MACs, or (almost) anything else;
> I'm running one Nagios installation where most "address"es happen to
> be ${IPV4ADDR}:${SSHPORT} or even chains of such, and another where
> some pseudohosts are specified as ${IPV4ADDR}:${SNMP_INTERFACE_ID}.
> It's the defined commands, and ultimately the plugins, which have to
> be able to understand non-IPv4 "address"es (and that can be done by
> using a separate set of commands for the hosts in question).
>
> Having that said, the differences between the patch you found and
> using custom object variables
> 	http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/3_0/customobjectvars.html
> in a similar way seem to be:
> -- a nicer name ($HOSTADDRESS6$ instead of, e.g., $_HOSTADDRESS6$ ...)
> -- the patch adds the value of $HOSTADDRESS6$ into the CGI pages
>    wherever $HOSTADDRESS$ is already displayed
> -- you can find hosts from their IPv6 address by typing that into the
>    search field (... I guess)

Well...I reconfigured my commands.cfg to use $HOSTNAME$ instead of
$HOSTADDRESS$ and added -4/-6" to the commands and indeed was able to
cover more that 99% of my needs.

Thanks for pointing that out, Helmut

http://p.sf.net/sfu/intel-dev2devmay