[Nagios-devel] RFC/RFP Service sets

Matt Simmons standalone.sysadmin at gmail.com
Tue May 17 15:21:32 CEST 2011

Hi,

On first glance, I liked the nested config example, but after thinking
about it for a little while, I'm starting to lean toward specifying
the service_sets per service. In cases where multiple groups
contribute to the Nagios configuration of an entity, doing this will
allow each group to "subscribe" their services, and file permissions
on the individual cfg files can be maintained, whereas storing things
in the nested service_set object requires everyone to be able to write
to that (plus it adds some additional complexity).

For what it's worth, I'm one of those people who are using host groups
to assign services to machines because I like being able to minimize
my work and maximize my results, and that's the shortest cut I've seen
so far. This replaces that functionality nicely, I think.

--Matt

On Tue, May 17, 2011 at 8:27 AM, Andreas Ericsson <ae at op5.se> wrote:
> Ahoy (again).
>
> One of the ideas that surfaced on the Nagios developer meeting in
> Bolzano was a concept dubbed "service sets". Consider them basically
> "partial host service profiles" and you'll have roughly the right
> idea.
>
> The benefits of adding service sets is that users can share config
> settings for various types of hosts rather than some particular check,
> and also that the question "does Nagios support monitoring X?" is
> quite easily answerable on a higher level than "no, but you can add
> checks for this and that, and this too, so it sort of does anyway",
> which tends to leave people who have no idea of how Nagios works
> quite baffled.
>
> There are two implementation suggestions so far, perhaps best explained
> in sample configuration:
>
> --%<--%<--%<--%<--%<--
> # compound-in-compound style (aka, "extended template style"):
> define service_set {
>        name     windows-services
>        use      windows-service-template
>        contact_groups  windows-admins
>        parents         NSClient
>
>        define service {
>                description    NSClient ; parent of all the others
>        }
>        define service {
>                description Disk usage C
>                check_command  check_nsclient!C!80!90
>        }
> }
>
> define service_set {
>        use database-service-template
>        name psql-services
>        contact_groups db-admins
>        parents PSQL Listener
>
>        define service {
>                description PSQL Listener; parent of the other ones
>        }
>        define service {
>                description Cache hit ratio
>        }
>        define service {
>                description Slow queries
>        }
> }
>
> define host {
>        host_name         win-psql1
>        service_sets      windows-services,psql-services
> }
> --%<--%<--%<--%<--%<--
> Pros:
> * Less typing.
> * Config is more normalized with less redundant information.
> * Service sets can also double as templates for the services
>  they contain.
> * A service-set is obviously safe-contained and quite easy to
>  share under whatever name the recipient wishes to set for it.
> * Rules can be set so that the 'parents' directive inside a
>  service_set has to refer to a service inside the service_set,
>  for which the parents directive is then ignored.
> * The service set object will always be created when we're adding
>  services to it, so we needn't stash them separately for adding
>  later (ie, much easier to parse).
>
> Cons:
> [...]

LITTLE GIRL: But which cookie will you eat FIRST?
COOKIE MONSTER: Me think you have misconception of cookie-eating process.