RFC/RFP Service sets

nap naparuba at gmail.com
Tue May 17 14:41:35 CEST 2011

On Tue, May 17, 2011 at 2:27 PM, Andreas Ericsson <ae at op5.se> wrote:

> Ahoy (again).
> [... service sets]

Hi,

Why not use a "service template on host template" feature instead? The idea
is near the second one you proposed. If you add an host_name to a service
that is a template, it will generate such service for all hosts that will
use this template. So when all your services are defined and lined in the
good host templates you will defined :

define host {
   use Linux, Oracle, WhatEver
}

And the Linux, Oracle, WhatEver are regular host templates, with some
services templates linked for each of them. It's more natural for users to
think about "templates" than to use a new property. So for example the Linux
template will add linux admins as contacts and will add all Linux standard
services checks (/, /var, memory, swap,...).

We already got all elements we need (template on template is not allowed, so
there is no risk in breaking existing configuration), it will be easier for
configuration tools than a new object. It will be just like your solution
N°2 a little more hard to exchange such "sets" (but in the sample
configuration we can just put a configuration file by sets for example).

It's what we add in Shinken, and it work quite well :)

Jean