RFC/RFP: Service parents

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Tue May 17 10:57:02 CEST 2011

Ahoy.

This is the first of a few requests for comments and patches that
I'll be sending out, requesting comments and patches. Please keep
bikeshedding to a minimum.

One of the more common ideas at ideas.nagios.org is to make Nagios
easier to configure with regards to service dependencies in order
to suppress notifications from being sent out. The most common
case when this happens is when an agent on a monitored host goes to
lunch but several of the checks configured for the host depends on
that agent being up and running.

The idea to easily solve such dependencies is to allow services to
have "parents". There will be some few limitations to how these
parents work, however, since we want to make it easy for people to
use and we also want to make it easy to implement.
* The parent of a service must reside on the same host as the child
  service.
* If the parent is in any non-ok state, notifications from the child
  service will be blocked, but the child service check will still be
  executed normally.
* Internally, Nagios will create a servicedependency with a simple
    notification_failure_criteria = ~STATE_OK
  upon the service parent. This is necessary to avoid breaking the
  eventbroker ABI. In Nagios 4, this can be changed, but for now we
  remain binary compatible with current eventbrokers.

Comments and patches welcome.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se

on peace.