[Nagios-users] nagios patches 3 old, 1 new (fix flexible downtime on service hard state change doesn't get triggered/activated)

Julien Mathis jmathis at merethis.com
Thu May 12 16:52:15 CEST 2011

Hi

On Thu, May 12, 2011 at 1:13 PM, Andreas Ericsson <ae at op5.se> wrote:

> > Talking of forks - I really appreciate the Centreon engine fork. Must
> > have happened for a reason, remember the execvp patch on this list? I'm
> > keen on seeing what they have been doing, and watching out for further
> > ideas on their interesting ideas. the initial released code has various
> > things already applied
> > (http://www.centreon.com/Centreon/centreon-engine-download.html).
>
> The sad part is that centreon forked three days after Nagios Enterprises
> cancelled the partnership contract with Merethis (the company behind
> centreon). To me, that smells a bit political.

Precision: the partnership agreement was broken by Nagios Enterprises
on the first of April 2011. Merethis accepts the decision because we have
never sold Nagios XI. This product did not exist when the Partnership had
signed.

For our part we are not angry.

> Thanks for the link though. I've been looking for it but was unable to
> find the download before you posted it. It should be interesting to see
> if they can solve the I/O load problems like someone here at the
> Bolzano conference mentioned they're working on. That's one of my goals
> too, but so far I haven't had time to sit down and think it through
> properly. If they have, we should be able to profit from their work
> quite easily.

Yes we will work on the subject. We hope you will benefit these
developments.
We have repeatedly offered our help, without success...

> > Shinken is already proofing what's possible, let's welcome another
> > competitor in the game :)
> >

> Yes. And no. Shinken is incompatible with all of Nagios' current
> broker modules. Icinga have broken the ABI compatibility, but not to
> the same extent. Shinken has some very neat ideas (and some not so
> neat ones too). Like all good engineers, I'll happily borrow the
> good ones and let the bad ones go hang.

That's not the goal. We want to keep the compatibility.

We do not want war. We do not want to split between all projects "Nagios (R)
".
We just want to bring new thinking and help the project without breaking
your
organization. We hope you understand us.

Regards,

--
Julien  MATHIS | CTO

jmathis at merethis.com
Tél : +33(0)1.78.12.00.23
Mobile  : +33(0)6.85.43.88.38

MERETHIS est éditeur du logiciel Centreon.