New Nagios external commands for downtime deletion

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Mon Mar 28 12:20:28 CEST 2011

On 03/24/2011 05:48 PM, Ton Voon wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I've just committed into SVN trunk 4 new downtime deletion commands:
> * DEL_HOSTGROUP_HOST_DOWNTIME;hostgroupname *
> DEL_HOSTGROUP_SVC_DOWNTIME;hostgroupname *
> DEL_HOST_SVC_DOWNTIME;hostname *
> DEL_DOWNTIME_BY_START_TIME_COMMAND;starttime;comment
>
> This allows downtime deletions to work in a master/slave setup,
> because the current mechanism of deletion by id number doesn't work
> in a distributed environment.

It does, but requires the command distribution mechanism to look up
the correct object for itself on the receiving end. Merlin solves
this neatly already.

Even so, I kinda like it.

> A few questions for Ethan: * I assume svn trunk is the right place to
> put this - I note that in branches/ there a feature branches. Can I
> suggest that you use trunk for latest development and create a stable
> branch instead. This is what we do for Opsview and it works very well
> (we tried the other way of development branches but caused a lot of
> unnecessary maintenance)

I agree with this. feature-branches belong in local repositories and
shouldn't be distributed to the global one. That svn makes repeeated
merging damn near impossible is a nuisance we'll have to live with, I
guess, but so long as we maintain them locally they needn't ever hit
svn at all. That's probably for the best.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se

on peace.