Significant NRPE rework, including IPv6

Kristian Lyngstol kristian at bohemians.org
Mon Mar 14 12:52:41 CET 2011

On Mon, Mar 14, 2011 at 11:24:54AM +0000, Ton Voon wrote:
> On 12 Mar 2011, at 13:20, Kristian Lyngstøl wrote:
> >
> > I've started working on making NRPE somewhat maintainable, as it's a
> > bit of a mess in its current state.
>
> If you could incorporate this enhancement, that would be great:
>
> http://labs.opsview.com/2008/08/enhancing-nrpe-for-large-output/

I'll take a look. It looks fairly trivial.

> We return a "version 3" in the packet data.

If my gut-feeling is right, I can retain backward compatibility at the same
time as adding this, but we'll see.

At any rate, the article brings up some interesting points that relates
somewhat to other aspects of nrpe I've been pondering. Once the code is in
better shape, it should be easier to see how viable the feature requests
are and how they affect backward compatibility.

> I would like this to get back upstream too, but I don't have commit
> access to the NRPE areas.

Neither do I. But I like the "code first, ask later" approach and hope the
code will speak for itself by the end of the day.

- Kristian

Colocation vs. Managed Hosting
http://p.sf.net/sfu/internap-sfd2d