nagios startup script patch

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Tue Mar 8 11:42:34 CET 2011

On 03/08/2011 11:21 AM, SCHAER Frederic wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Yes, I'm aware of that, thanks.
> As I said, patch is minimalistic, it does not implement anything, it just
> intends to optimize the startup script...
> Actually, the reason I looked at the startup script was to see how this
> faststartup was handled at the init level... and it is not.
>
> Also, I'm not interested in objects cache : when I usually reload config (I
> am/was avoiding restarts), it's because the config changed...
>
> So, what this patch does is actually take advantage of the building
> optimizations, and avoid the useless duplication of checks.
> If you look at the current init script, a restart *really* checks twice the
> configuration using "nagios -v", and it furthermore doesn't de-activate
> circular path checks when starting nagios. This is 3 tests for circular
> dependencies. And 2 for a simple server start using the init script.
>
> Since circular path checks are what seem to take most of the startup time, I
> thought it might be good to take advantage of this built-in optimizations at
> startup... ?

It is, but there's really no reason circular path checks should take such
a huge amount of time. When I get git-svn set up properly I'll have to
look into that. The patch for circular host<->parents paths by Jean Gabès
should be re-usable for host and service dependencies as well, and that
provided a monumental speedup for the area it touched. What version of
Nagios are you using, and roughly how many hosts and service dependencies?

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se

on peace.