Non existent macros are not replaced

Matthieu Kermagoret mkermagoret at merethis.com
Mon Mar 7 13:57:13 CET 2011

On Thu, Mar 3, 2011 at 8:08 PM, Jochen Bern <Jochen.Bern at linworks.de> wrote:
> On 03/03/2011 07:33 PM, Andreas Ericsson wrote:
>> Yes, but how about a command_line such as this:
>>        $USER1$/check_something '$pas$word'
>> $pas$ is not a valid macro, so by the reasoning of the original poster
>> we should remove it, but that would mean there can *never* be two
>> dollar-signs that aren't part of macros inside anything where macros
>> get interpreted
>
> I'm not saying that you should follow his reasoning, but why you keep
> ignoring the official escaping method?
>
> "Also, if you want to pass a dollar sign ($) on the command line, you
> have to escape it with another dollar sign."
> -- http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/3_0/objectdefinitions.html#command

As Jochen pointed out, the patch I propose still allows dollars to be
given to the shell as there is an escaping method especially for this
purpose.

> The above quote from the docs says it isn't ("you HAVE to"). But as I
> said, *enforcing* that out of the blue sky is problematic, to say the least.

While I agree that some configurations might be broken by this patch,
the users that implemented them didn't follow the documentation in the
first place and should therefore not be taken into account. With this
patch legitimate users that would expect non-existent macros to simply
be removed would be satisfied.

So Andreas, would your reconsider your opinion about the application
of this patch ?

Best regards,

--
Matthieu KERMAGORET | Développeur

mkermagoret at merethis.com

MERETHIS est éditeur du logiciel Centreon.