Possible bug or update for Core documentation

Libor Jelinek ljelinek at virtage.com
Tue Feb 1 12:27:36 CET 2011

Hello dear Nagios developers,
I am verry sorry if this is not right place to file a bug but I didn't
found any your bugzilla or something like this.

During configuring my Nagios I observed possible bug OR at least need
of updating manual page
http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/3_0/objectdefinitions.html.

ERROR:
During start, restart or nagios -v sequence following error messages:
Error: Invalid max_check_attempts value for host 'vlm-srv-ad'
Error: Could not register host (config file
'/etc/nagios3/conf.d/ae/o-servers.cfg', starting on line 39)
  Error processing object config files!

CAUSE:
Missing max_check_attempts for host object if check_interval for host
object is used.

I think that this behavior is bug or is not docummented that you also
have to set max_check_attempts.

HOW TO REPRODUCE:
1) I created new .cnf file for my servers named servers.cnf
2) Define new hostgroup:
define hostgroup {
    hostgroup_name     servers
    alias      My server
}
3) Define a new host "template" (a parent for object definition
inheritance) and decrease check_interval from default 5 to 1 minute
(default from /etc/nagios3/conf.d/generic-host_nagios2.cfg)
define host {
    name      server-host-template
    check_interval     1
}
4) Define host for my first server:
define host {
   use server-host-template
   host_name    MyFirstServer
   address   10.0.0.1
   hostgroups    servers
}
5) Now $ nagios3 -v /etc/nagios3/nagios.cfg will produce errors from above.
6) Not documented is that I have to set also max_check_attempts. So
template will looke like:
define host {
    name      server-host-template
    check_interval     1
    max_check_attempts     5
}

ENVIRONMENT:
Ubuntu 10.04 32bit (Lucid)
Nagios3 (Version 3.2.0, August 12, 2009) from Ubuntu Lucid deb package

--
Hezky den / Have a nice day
Libor JELÍNEK

VIRTAGE SOFTWARE // software - design - web
Lucni 542 // 285 04 Uhlirske Janovice // Czech Republic
support: +420 315 555 488 // cell: +420 777 205 142
email/jabber: ljelinek at virtage.com // web: www.virtage.com