NSCA (latest svn) bus error with extremely large messages

Mike Lindsey mike-nagios at 5dninja.net
Fri Dec 9 20:06:48 CET 2011

I'm running the current svn NSCA.  We take advantage of long plugin
output, to provide some extensive diagnostic data.  Unfortunately some
of our VMware monitoring is, on occasion, outputting excessively large
messages which trigger a bus error.

Anything up to 4k for plugin output gets sent fine.  From 4k to a little
over 10k it seems to consistently truncate properly.  From 10k to around
20k, intermittent runs will result in a bus error.  Anything about that
and they all seem to fail.

I've recompiled with debugging symbols, but haven't had much luck so far
in tracking down the bug.  Unfortunately, this is one of those weeks
where I've got eight different projects pulling me in 12 different
directions, and can't really spend a lot of time tracking down bugs.  If
you've got a good test harness and don't mind throwing a few giant
messages through it, I'd love any pointers as to a possible fix.

--
Mike Lindsey

of a cloud services business. Read Now!
http://www.accelacomm.com/jaw/sfnl/114/51491232/