Nagios and Gearman - huge environment performance problem

Sven Nierlein Sven.Nierlein at consol.de
Sat Aug 20 00:22:14 CEST 2011

On 8/19/11 23:43, Rodney Ramos wrote:
> Thanks, Daniel, but I don´t think that my problem is of hardware. I create the ramdisk and the problem is the same:
>  - nagios eating 100% of CPU all the time;
>  - nagios does not distribute the active checks in a smoothly way. It waits a long time and make the acitve checks in a burst way. I can see this with the gearman_top. The gearmand jobs waiting queue is empty almost all the time, but sometimes there is a burst of jobs in the queue. I can´t understand this behavior.

- Do you have any other modules loaded? (ndo, npcd)
- Try reducing your event_broker options to a minimum.
- Try putting nagios tmp files on a ramdisk
- The nagios core does not scale. It's a single process utilizing a
   single core. It does not matter if you have 100cpus. The maximum
   for your core is the power of one cpu. Everything except the core
   scales very well.
- Try to find out where the core spend its time.
- Be aware, that active checks use more than twice as much cpu cycles
   than passive checks where nagios just has to reap the results.

And you need to measure the amount of checks done. Otherwise you won't notice
if your changes had any effect.

  Sven