Bug?: Custom notifications ignore contact notification options

Jochen Bern Jochen.Bern at LINworks.de
Mon Aug 1 20:38:45 CEST 2011

On 08/01/2011 08:10 PM, Paul M. Dubuc wrote:
> Thanks for the response. I'm still puzzled, thought.  If it makes sense
> to override the regular notification logic for custom notifications,
> what is the point of having the Broadcast option?

To re-quote the doc from your initial request:

> "Custom notifications normally follow the regular notification logic in
> Nagios. Selecting the Forced option will force the notification to be sent
> out, regardless of the time restrictions, whether or not notifications are
> enabled, etc. Selecting the Broadcast option causes the notification to be
> sent out to all normal (non-escalated) and escalated contacts. These options
> allow you to override the normal notification logic if you need to get an
> important message out."

And if I may paraphrase
http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/3_0/notifications.html myself: The
available filters which control who might have a notification sent to
him are:
1. program-wide notification disable switch (not relevant here)
2. host/service-specific notification disable switch
3. downtime or flapping in effect
4. several notification_options
5. several notification_periods
6. first_notification_delay & notification_interval (not relevant here)
7. match of the # of the notification-to-be to the escalation rules
8. PROBLEM/RECOVERY matching (probably not relevant here)

According to the docs' wording - I never ran tests or inspected the code
yet, mind you -, "Forced" should override 2., 5., and some other
unspecified filters :-}, while "Broadcast" should override 7.. The
filter whose relevance we've been discussing is 4..

Kind regards,
								J. Bern
--
Jochen Bern, Systemingenieur --- LINworks GmbH <http://www.LINworks.de/>
Postfach 100121, 64201 Darmstadt | Robert-Koch-Str. 9, 64331 Weiterstadt

http://p.sf.net/sfu/rim-blackberry-1