nagios 3.2.3 localtime deadlock

Jochen Bern Jochen.Bern at LINworks.de
Fri Oct 8 11:38:09 CEST 2010

On 10/08/2010 07:44 AM, Thomas Guyot-Sionnest wrote:
> At first glance it seems we might have quite some code to change in
> order to be 100% thread-safe:
> $ grep -RE '(asctime|ctime|gmtime|localtime)[[:space:]]*\(' base/|wc -l
> 77
> Although not all invocations are necessarily in threaded code. Anyone
> more experienced could confirm if this is the actual issue?

I'm afraid that I don't qualify, either, but I do have a question: Any
chance that the log rotation routines are particularly thread-poison-y?

Background: I hacked a bit of randomization into the check scheduling so
as to dissolve the "clusters" of concurrent checks I previously had, and
it turns out that *something* trashes the smoothing every midnight when
the log gets rotated, worse than even a widespread network outage's
checks-timeouts-and-notifications-storm does.

(See the attached graph; x = current time (small tickmarks every minute,
bigger ticks every 10m, first of them is midnight); y = (scheduled time
- current time), tick = 1m; pixel colors code for # of checks scheduled
at time y in the status.dat read at time x, black = 0, yellow = 51, see
spectrum in lower left corner.)

Ever since, I've been waiting for some inspiration how to debug this
further ... :-/

> Aieee!, so much IE spam... can't we just blacklist these words :p

(If IE does indeed conform to CSS3 now, it's good news at least. Last I
checked, it was still lacking :before and :after from CSS 2.0 - and
that's a standard from 1998, for cryin' out loud!)

Regards,
								J. Bern
--
Jochen Bern, Systemingenieur --- LINworks GmbH <http://www.LINworks.de/>
Postfach 100121, 64201 Darmstadt | Robert-Koch-Str. 9, 64331 Weiterstadt