alternative scheduler

Jochen Bern Jochen.Bern at LINworks.de
Wed Nov 24 16:37:42 CET 2010

On 11/24/2010 11:34 AM, Fredrik Thulin wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-11-24 at 10:23 +0100, Jochen Bern wrote:
>> In evaluating a new check
>> scheduler, the first thing I'd be interested in would be its
>> *correctness*, from the detail (single host/service) up to the global
>> level (yielding a rate of X/min, not less, nor more - hence my confusion
>> about your "the more checks per minute, the better!" stance).
> Right. What level of correctness are you talking about here?

Just to make a neat French bowline into this loose end: As I mentioned,
I consider a scheduler's capability to avoid workload peaks (or, at
least, prevent their recurrence every check_interval) by "wiggling" the
check execution times by a certain amount a "quality", and have hacked a
certain amount of randomization into this myself.

A larger net outage in a world of retry_interval << check_interval
upends the scheduling **FAR** worse than a couple % of "wiggling" does,
and "make sure that Nagios stays operational" trumps "avoid computation
errors of several %" hands down. It shouldn't happen out of a blue sky,
though.

Kind regards,
								J. Bern
--
Jochen Bern, Systemingenieur --- LINworks GmbH <http://www.LINworks.de/>
Postfach 100121, 64201 Darmstadt | Robert-Koch-Str. 9, 64331 Weiterstadt

http://p.sf.net/sfu/intelisp-dev2dev